Target Audience for Activity: Grades 1-12
- Students will learn about important dates in the Civil Rights struggle in Atlanta.
- Students will develop chronologies based on historic figures such as Ivan Allen Jr.
- Social Studies textbook
- Internet access
- Microfilm of local and national newspapers (check with public library)
Make a timeline of the Civil Rights Movement including events of the 1950s and 1960s. Be sure to highlight civil rights events in Atlanta 's history on the timeline.
Suggested events to include on Civil Rights Timeline:
- Brown v. Board of Education
- Rosa Parks
- Little Rock Central High School and the Little Rock Nine
- Ivan Allen Jr.'s testimony before Congress
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Other Civil Rights Acts
- Martin Luther King Jr. awarded Nobel Peace Prize
- Thurgood Marshall appointed to the Supreme Court
For more information, check out The HistoryMakers at: http://www.thehistorymakers.com/