Target Audience for Activity: Grades 6-12
- Students will learn about careers earned through higher education.
- Students will learn about the Ivan Allen College.
- Students will learn about the life and education of Ivan Allen Jr.
Ivan Allen Jr. graduated from Georgia Tech in 1933 with a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Commerce. When the Board of Regents decided to move the School of Commerce to the University of Georgia, Ivan Allen Jr. joined 450 students in a protest march. Despite the protest, the school was moved to UGA.
Choose one of the topics below and write a short essay. Check out the Georgia Tech website for a lists of majors and classes available in each College.
- If Ivan Allen was going to attend Georgia Tech today, what college would he attend and what would he major in at Georgia Tech? Why did you choose the college and the major?
- If Ivan Allen was going to give a guest lecture at your school, what topic would you choose for him to speak about? Why did you choose that topic?
- If Ivan Allen was going to teach at Georgia Tech today, what classes would you want to take from him? Why did you choose those classes?
- If Ivan Allen was going to teach at Georgia Tech today, for which College would you hire him? Which classes would you have him teach? Why did you choose that College and those classes?